Friday, December 5, 2008

Swearing-in Ceremony


The ‘Arch of Neutrality’ is an arch that was built by the former President of Turkmenistan after the United Nations officially granted Turkmenistan politically ‘neutral’ status. The tower is topped with a golden statue of the former President, and the statue rotates so that it is always facing the sun. The bright orange color visible on the arch in this picture changes to fluorescent pink, blue, green, and yellow, remarkably reminiscent of a lava lamp.


The swearing-in ceremony was yesterday. We are now officially Peace Corps Volunteers. Joshua gave his speech in Turkmen at the ceremony yesterday, and he did an excellent job.




3 comments:

Jana said...

Why wasn't that speech on video if Josh did such a great job, huh??? still gathering my packages together . . . send me some turkman and woman love.

Daletuck said...

I need one of them lava lamps o' neutrality.

The O'Hallorans said...

Hi Jana and Dale:^). Thanks for the comments-- it is always great to hear a word from back home. Sorry that I didn't post Joshua's speech Jana. I thought it might be a little dry for listening to because people can't understand it, plus it would take about an hour to upload it. If there are requests, I'll see what I can do:^). We're thinking of you-- have a great Christmas!