Friday, December 5, 2008

Turkmen Music

This video is a clip is from our swearing-in ceremony on Friday. The group is performing traditional Turkmen music with a ‘dutar.’ Our last host family listened to this type of music all of the time. The clothing worn by the musicians is traditional Turkmen clothing. The attire that the woman is wearing is still the common street-wear in Turkmenistan, but men mostly wear suits and ties on the streets of T-stan. In smaller villages, it is not uncommon to see older men wearing these beautiful red robes and white wool hats (called “Telpecs”) as everyday wear.

4 comments:

His wife, Bonnie said...

What a great picture of you two, and the "lava lamp" Such a beautiful place you are living in . . can't wait to hear more.
Love you so much, mom

Philly said...

Fun to hear their music, not very "up beat" though. So good to hear up dates of your life. I am continually amazing at your great adventures and your ability to learn new languages! Tell us more about the specifics of health care there. Is there a lot of HIV, TB, etc? What are some of the biggest problems or things unique to the area? Also, I saw Claire Hoff last night at our Christmas party...I'm giving her your blog b/c she was interested! Have a wonderful Christmas. God Bless you both!

Clare said...

Hello Hello! My name is Clare I knew you from Iowa State/Salt Co. crowd! Philly gave me your blog site. So excited to see that you are up to amazing things. Just like I always thought you would be! Anyways I will be keeping up with your world travels and being very jealous. All the best!

The O'Hallorans said...

Thanks for the comments, friends! It is always great to hear from you. Great to hear from you, Clare! Philly, great Q's about the healthcare. I will give you an update via email about your questions because the government regularly monitors information submitted on blogs. PS. I love the pictures you've sent via email-- great to stay updated on your life.